Soft Tissue Surgery
Veterinarian Course: May 19-24, 2024
This 4-day course is designed to teach participants the technical aspects of a variety of soft tissue surgery procedures in dogs and cats. Some theory will be included in the lecture aspect of the course, but emphasis will be placed on the technical aspects used to perform each procedure thus maximizing time in the workshop.
Procedures for the canine workshops include laryngeal tie-back, TECA-LBO, forelimb amputation, perineal hernia repair, salivary gland resection, scrotal urethrostomy, chest drain placement, anal sacculectomy, gastropexy, rapid splenectomy, caudal superficial epigastric flap, subtotal mandibulectomy and vulvoplasty.
Procedures for the feline workshops include nosectomy and pinna amputation for squamous cell carcinoma, ventral bulla osteotomy, perineal urethostomy using a dorsal approach, chest drain placement, E-tube placement and diaphragmatic hernia repair.
Video of clinical case material will be used extensively throughout the hands-on workshop to help illustrate each technique.
By the end of this course, participants will have a thorough understanding of::
- How to successfully perform a variety of practical soft tissue surgery techniques.
- Recent developments and new techniques in soft tissue surgery.
- The instructors’ philosophical and technical views on surgical procedures performed in the hands-on workshops.
- Regional anatomy related to each surgical procedure
Howard B. Seim III, DVM, DACVS
Dr. Seim graduated from Washington State University, completed an internship in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada, and a surgical residency at the Animal Medical Center in New York City. He obtained Diplomate status in the American College of Veterinary Surgeons in 1983. He is currently on the surgical staff at Colorado State University. He was recipient of the Merck AGVET Award for Creative Teaching, the CSU Award for Instructional Innovation and selected as the North American Veterinary Conference’s Small Animal Speaker of the Year in 2009.
Dr. Seim is founder of VideoVet a Veterinary Surgery Continuing Education video series. http://www.videovet.org
- Kristin Coleman, DVM, MS DACVS-SA
- Christopher Gauthier, DVM, MS, DACVS-SA
- Sarah Marvel, DVM, DACVS-SA, ACVS Fellow, Surgical Oncology
Recommended Supplemental Reading
- Veterinary Small Animal Surgery, 2011, Author: Karen M. Tobias, Publisher: Elsevier
- VideoVet—Soft Tissue Surgery Video Series, 2013, Author: Howard B. Seim, III, Publisher: VideoVet. videovet.org
- Small Animal Surgery, 4th Edition, Author: Teresa Welch Fossum, DVM, MS, PhD, DACVS, Publisher: Elsevier