POSITION TITLE: Executive Editor
LOCATION: Orlando, FL
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Media Strategy
FLSA Status: Exempt
Pay Level: Base Salary
Founded in 1982 and headquartered in Gainesville, Florida, with offices in Orlando, Florida, the North American Veterinary Community (NAVC) is a non-profit organization providing world-class professional development to the global veterinary healthcare community. NAVC offers a competitive salary, and full benefits package that includes medical, dental and life insurance as well as a 401K plan. Most importantly we provide a fun, engaging and collaborative working environment where your talents and strengths will be utilized to serve the veterinary profession and assist in achievement of the NAVC mission.
The Executive Editor for NAVC’s Media Group has significant editorial experience across multiple channels — print, digital, email, social media, and video. The Executive Editor organizes, supervises, and participates in the management and development of all content submitted for publication across multiple channels. The Executive Editor is responsible for using the media tools for promotion and dissemination of information and products, such as email and social media. The Executive Editor will assist the Vice President of Media Strategy in using progressive strategies to lead the growth in market share, quality, usage, reputation, and financial performance for NAVC’s journals. The Executive Editor oversees the Assistant Managing Editor in developing the editorial calendar. The Executive Editor consults with the medical editors, creative director, and assistant managing editor on content for each issue, provides evaluations of manuscripts to authors, and supervises the submission process and tracking system. The Executive Editor maintains liaisons between the author, medical editor, and Creative Director, as well as the peer-reviewed journals’ editor-in-chiefs and editorial advisory boards. The Executive Editor has a creative mindset, enthusiasm for print and digital media, and excellent communication and interpersonal skills. The Executive Editor oversees the Assistant Managing Editor.
- Oversees the editorial process of NAVC’s editorial projects, including the four journals, Today’s Veterinary Practice, Today’s Veterinary Nurse, Today’s Veterinary Business, and Veterinary Advantage, from concept to completion.
- Develops, manages and executes the overall editorial strategy for improving readership and retention.
- Edits publications as needed, while cultivating and mentoring staff and delegating work accordingly.
- Organizes and manages the editorial department for maximum effectiveness and productivity. Aids the peer-reviewed journals’ Creative Director and Assistant Managing Editor in monitoring production schedules.
- Works closely with the editor-in-chiefs and editorial advisory boards of Today’s Veterinary Practice and Today’s Veterinary Nurse.
- Maintains an efficient process for planning and producing digital content, editorial emails, and social media posts. Maintains the editorial email tracker for the bimonthly editorial emails of Today’s Veterinary Practice and monthly editorial email of Today’s Veterinary Nurse.
- Reviews work, troubleshoots and provides feedback to the remote editorial teams of NAVC’s journals Today’s Veterinary Business and Veterinary Advantage.
- Works closely with multidisciplinary project teams, including the Spark! video team, Media Sales, and Marketing Web, Email and Social Media teams. Improves quality of projects by recommending changes to art and production departments.
- Assists the Vice President of Media Strategy by contributing ideas for sponsored editorial projects and strategies. Assists the Creative Director and Media Operations Manager in creating sponsored editorial products, promotional materials and sales presentation materials.
- Assists the Vice President of Media Strategy in presenting campaign strategies and solutions to clients or NAVC upper management.
- Oversees timelines and budgets for all editorial products, including both editorial and sponsored editorial projects, including redesign initiatives.
- Ensures NAVC and client editorial communication and brand standards are met and that publications and products meet the highest standards for verbal style and clarity, visual design, and performance.
- Manages the Assistant Managing Editor. Provides support to the editors of Today’s Veterinary Business and Veterinary Advantage.
Accountability and Performance Measures
- Operate within assigned budgets (content, production, and travel)
- Cultivate contributor and reviewer base
- Ensuring strategic goals are met for audience development through vendor relationships
- Complete required training and development objectives within assigned time frame
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Journalism or Communications
- 5+ years of experience in print and/or digital media
- Demonstrated ability to manage publication workflow
- Creative and entrepreneurial approach
- Solid group and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience with clinical or peer reviewed journals preferred
Position Core Competencies
- Exceptional Organizational Skills
- Digital Expertise
- Creativity & Innovation
- Customer Orientation
Environmental Position Requirements
All prospective employees must pass a background check.
- Publication budget
- Complete office set up including Mac laptop and monitor and office phone
- Historical data
- Industry data
- Google drive
- Additional resources as required
Submit Your ApplicationApply Today
Questions? You can contact Kimberly Chatfield, Human Resources Manager, at [email protected].