Position Title: Executive Editor
Location: Orlando or Gainesville, Florida or Remote
Supervisor: Vice President, Media Strategy
FLSA Status: Exempt
The executive editor is responsible for maintaining a high standard of excellence for the NAVC’s clinical journals, Today’s Veterinary Practice and Today’s Veterinary Nurse, developing content that benefits and enriches the veterinary community. The candidate will do so by organizing, supervising, and participating in the development of all content submitted for publication across multiple platforms. The executive editor consults with the medical editors, creative director, and assistant managing editor on content for each issue; provides evaluations of manuscripts to authors; and supervises the submission process and tracking system. The executive editor maintains liaisons between the author, medical editor, and creative director, as well as the peer-reviewed journals’ editors-in-chief and editorial advisory boards. Additionally, the executive editor is responsible for maintaining a consistent and efficient editorial workflow for all of the NAVC’s journals (in addition to TVP and TVN, Today’s Veterinary Business and Veterinary Advantage, as well as special publications). The executive editor will assist the vice president of media strategy in using progressive strategies to lead the growth in market share, quality, usage, reputation, and financial performance for the NAVC’s journals. The executive editor has a creative mindset, enthusiasm for print and digital media, and excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Known for wagging tails, creative ideas and collaborative teams around every corner, the North American Veterinary Community (NAVC) is an Orlando-based nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting and advancing veterinary professionals worldwide. The world’s leading provider of veterinary continuing education, the NAVC delivers essential training, tools and resources for veterinary professionals to stay abreast of advances in animal medicine and provide the best medical care for animals everywhere. Through its commitment to innovation and excellence, the NAVC has developed a diverse portfolio of products and services, including: educational events, headlined by VMX, the world’s largest, most comprehensive continuing education conference and launchpad for new products and innovations within the veterinary industry; a robust digital platform for virtual learning and engagement; the veterinary industry’s largest and award-winning portfolio of trade publications; and an advocacy arm which unites the veterinary community and pet lovers. The NAVC was founded in 1982 and is headquartered in Orlando, FL. Since 2017, the NAVC has been recognized annually as one of the Top Workplaces by the Orlando Sentinel. To learn more about the NAVC’s products and brands, visit https://navc.com/.
- Oversees the editorial process of the NAVC’s publications, including the four journals Today’s Veterinary Practice, Today’s Veterinary Nurse, Today’s Veterinary Business, and Veterinary Advantage, from concept to completion.
- Develops, manages, and executes the overall editorial strategy for improving readership and retention.
- Primarily responsible for developing and assigning all content for the NAVC’s peer-reviewed clinical journals (Today’s Veterinary Practice and Today’s Veterinary Nurse) and maintaining an annual editorial calendar for both publications.
- Oversees the clinical journals' peer review process and fosters an environment where both peer reviewers and authors are treated fairly and respectfully.
- Edits publications, while cultivating and mentoring staff and delegating work accordingly.
- Organizes and manages the editorial department for maximum effectiveness and productivity. Aids the peer-reviewed journals’ creative director and assistant managing editor in monitoring production schedules.
- Works closely with the editors-in-chief and editorial advisory boards of Today’s Veterinary Practice and Today’s Veterinary Nurse.
- Writes and edits copy for the editorial emails of Today’s Veterinary Practice and Today’s Veterinary Nurse.
- Reviews work, troubleshoots, and provides feedback to the editorial teams of the NAVC’s satellite journals, Today's Veterinary Business and Veterinary Advantage.
- Oversees timelines and budgets for all editorial products, including both editorial and sponsored editorial projects.
- Ensures NAVC and client editorial communication and brand standards are met and that publications and products meet the highest standards for verbal style and clarity, visual design, and performance.
- Assists the vice president of media strategy by contributing ideas for sponsored editorial projects and strategies. Assists the creative director in creating sponsored editorial products, promotional materials and sales presentation materials.
- Meets with clients or NAVC upper management to explain campaign strategies and solutions.
- A bachelor’s degree in communication, journalism, a related field, or the equivalent work experience in a related field
- A minimum of 5+ years of experience in publishing
- Excellent communication, organization, and project management skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Proficient in using InCopy and InDesign to edit manuscripts and article layouts
- Experience with WordPress or a similar CMS preferred
- Experience in academic publishing and/or a master’s degree preferred
- Background in veterinary medicine and/or the veterinary industry preferred
Additional Position Information
- Dog-friendly office.
- Robust benefits package including health, vision, dental and 401K match.
- All prospective employees must pass a background check.
Notice: NAVC is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Questions? You can contact Kimberly Chatfield, Human Resources Director, at KChatfield@NAVC.com.