Founded in Gainesville, Florida in 1982 with offices in both Gainesville and Orlando, Florida, the North American Veterinary Community (NAVC) is a non-profit organization providing world-class professional development to the global veterinary healthcare community. NAVC offers a competitive salary and full benefits package that includes medical, dental and life insurance as well as a 401K plan. The working environment is fun, engaging and collaborative where your talents and strengths will be utilized to serve the veterinary profession and assist in achievement of the NAVC mission.
The Controller is responsible for oversight and hands-on management of NAVC’s Accounting team. As the second in command of the Finance and Accounting department, the Controller will maximize return of financial assets by establishing financial policies, procedures, controls, and reporting systems, which create a culture of informed, compliant financial decision-making. Combining expert knowledge of accounting best practices and Enterprise accounting software with excellent communication and collaboration skills, the Controller will produce and distribute regular reports and communications with company leaders, staff, and identified external parties to ensure key stakeholders are fully informed of financial performance. The Controller will lead a team of direct reports and work with external auditors as required.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. These requirements are representative of the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to the job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities an incumbent may be expected or asked to perform. Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities.
Accounting and Compliance
- Performs high-level accounting duties and manages highly confidential information.
- Ensures all work prepared by the accounting team is completed accurately and timely.
- Leads efforts to create and standardize company-wide accounting architecture and processes, which meet or exceed generally accepted accounting principles.
- Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Monitors and confirms company financial condition by conducting audits and providing information to external auditors when required.
- Prepares budgets through collection, analysis, and consolidation of financial data.
- Achieves budget objectives by scheduling expenditures, analyzing variances, and initiating corrective actions.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, filing financial reports, and advising NAVC’s leadership on required actions.
Financial Reporting and Communication
- Provides regular, timely financial status reports by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data.
- Communicates financial information to department leaders and stakeholders.
- Sets standards for training and organizational expectations on accounting policies and procedures.
Leadership and Innovation
- Supervises and coaches’ team, managing roles and responsibilities, talent planning, acquisition, onboarding, performance accountability, and group problem-solving for all direct reports.
- Provides a strong financial voice to guide departmental managers
- Supports innovation through trend analysis, identifying new opportunities, developing novel ideas and/or participation in idea generation activities to improve NAVC’s processes, services, and/or products.
- In alignment with NAVC’s business goals, supports and defines goals and forecasting activities, ensuring consistent progress towards goals, and acknowledging accomplishments.
- Participates in creating and administering company policies and guidelines.
- Sets fiscal and business goals for Accounting; analyzing and controlling expenses to stay on budget.
- Analyzes activities, costs, and output of Accounting to determine and drive productivity and effectiveness.
Qualifications, Education, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and 8 years relevant experience; or master’s degree in related field and 6 years relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 10 years’ experience in a senior accounting function with leadership responsibilities.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Knowledge and familiarity with mergers, acquisitions, entrepreneurial activities, and lean process management.
- Knowledge, familiarity, and ability to collaborate with other functions such as contracts, sales and marketing, development, and talent management.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite.
- Knowledge of enterprise resource planning systems (ERP) and enterprise level accounting software.
- Knowledge of collaboration and communication tools: Google Drive, Slack, WebEx, Zoom, etc.
- Critical Thinking: Ability to work self-directed, using analytical and evaluative problem-solving skills.
- Team Oriented: Ability to collaborate, provide feedback, and support others as a part of a team.
- Communication: Ability to exercise active listening skills and subsequently communicate solutions through in-person, phone, and text-based mediums.
- Stakeholder Empathy: Ability to empathize with customers and internal and external stakeholders, and prioritize tasks accordingly.
- Execution: Ability to consistently and accurately complete tasks and achieve results on time.
- Resourcefulness: Ability to find quick and clever ways to overcome obstacles.
- Tech Curious: Interest and ability to learn new technologies with ease.
- Received: The Senior Vice President, Finance will provide general supervision and specify goals and areas of special concentration.
- Given: Provides direct supervision and corresponding leadership responsibilities of the Finance & Accounting department.
This position may require occasional after-hours work. Travel between the Gainesville and Orlando office will be required on a regular basis.
Submit Your ApplicationApply Today
Questions? You can contact Kimberly Chatfield, Human Resources Manager, at [email protected].